What is 3D Secure?
Verified by Visa (VbV) and MasterCard SecureCode (MSC), which use 3D Secure technology, are the latest fraud prevention initiatives launched by the card schemes as a more secure method for authenticating the cardholder at the time of the transaction.
VbV and MSC require the cardholder to enter a password during the transaction process. The cardholder will first need to register their password for VbV or SecureCode with their card issuer. (This can be carried out when placing an order with us - follow the 'enroll or register link.)
3D Secure is an online version of ‘Chip and PIN’. In the same way a shopper would not provide the vendor with their PIN number over the phone, the shopper should not provide their 3D Secure password over the phone either.
MasterCard have issued a rule which states that all International Maestro cards MUST have a full 3D Secure Authentication in order for the transaction to be authorised.
They have also issued a rule which states that for domestic Maestro cards, you must attempt to authenticate the transaction under the scheme.
All Sage Pay merchants can request 3D Secure to be added to their account free of charge. Sage Pay recommends that all merchants activate this service. At The Natural Skincare Company we have activated this service to make your online payments more secure.
How does it work?
Visa and MasterCard require cardholders to enroll for VbV and SecureCode via their card issuing bank. Card issuers may prompt cardholders to enroll at the time of the transaction, or may use a separate enrolment process. Once the cardholder has enrolled, they will be prompted to enter their password whenever placing a transaction through a 3D Secure enabled site. This password is then sent to the cardholder’s issuing bank and checked against their system. If the password matches, the cardholder is authenticated and the payment process continues in the normal way.
How does the payment process work for 3D Secure transactions?
1. The cardholder decides to purchase with a MasterCard or Visa card from a 3D Secure enabled site with Sage Pay.
2. The cardholder enters their card details and clicks the proceed button on the payment pages.
3. Sage Pay sends information to the MasterCard or Visa directory server. Sage Pay queries the directory server to find out if the card issuer is participating in the relevant 3D Secure scheme and whether the cardholder has enrolled.
4. If the cardholder has enrolled, Sage Pay sends a request for authentication to the appropriate issuing bank.
5. The issuing bank displays a bank-branded screen to the cardholder who is prompted to enter their password.
6. The issuing bank sends the authentication results back to Sage Pay.