Marine Glycans - A DNA sized breakthrough
As well as being rich in anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals, seaweed is prized by the pharmacy industry because its molecular structure most closely resembles the human skin. The skin is the most intelligent organ in the body, and will analyse any substance which touches it and then make a decision about what to do with it.
Scientists are actually describing glycans as the 'third gene language', following the discovery of DNA and Proteins and the role they play in the body.
"Understanding the nature of these glycans gives us the keys to understanding the ageing process of the skin." - Dr. Bruno A. Bernard in describing glycanbiology as the start of a new era. "Given the molecular variety of glycans, which is far greater than that of proteins, it really is a tool for the future."
Glycobiologists like Dr. Bernard know that human glycans reduce substantially with age. As a result of this, skin cell communication breaks down and cell maintenance slows, which includes the production of collagen which is, essentially, the framework that gives human skin its shape.
Natural glycans in some skincare brands, such as Te Mana simulate the action of human glycans to not only restore intercellular communications and stimulate the production of essentials like collagen, but also act as carriers to transport oils, minerals, vitamins, proteins and other essential nutrients to the deepest layers of the skin where cells are carrying out important rejuvenation work. Absorption is quick and efficient.
Without this nourishing, hydrating and detoxifying work carried out by the skin and Te Mana's New Zealand botanical extracts - and facilitated by marine glycans – the skin is greatly compromised in its capacity to repair and recover.
"The significance of glycans as “the third biological language” (after the gene languages of DNA and proteins) is widely accepted, fundamental insights and discoveries pave the way for new products and innovative applications."
- 7th Glycan Forum Berlin 2013
So, why is Te Mana Skincare different?
- Te Mana formulations incorporate glycans which are organic, natural and free from harmul chemicals
- Contains ingredients which are harvested environmentally friendly
- Contains red seaweed base which acts as a highly effective brightening agent and works successfully against pigmentation, which is caused, by sun damage, hormonal changes and ageing.
Seaweed based marine glycans are successful in:
- Hydrating the skin: The skin is unable to protect itself from water loss due to free radical damage
- Nourishing the skin: Promotes collagen production, adds polysaccharides, proteins and vitamins to assist regeneration)
- Detoxifying:Red seaweed and its marine glycan complex - together with New Zealand botanical extracts – is effective at helping combat free radicals which damage the skin. Generated by diet and our environment, free radicals cause extensive damage. Bearing in mind that seaweed has long been used for natural healing due to its polysaccharides content (New Zealand Maori used it as a balm for wounds), Te Mana is particularly helpful at controlling free radicals and assisting with the detoxification process.
- A carrier: With the skin's permission, Te Mana's marine glycans act like train coaches transporting essential oils and other essentials the skin needs to resist the ageing process.